Resident return visas (RRV) allow eligible current or former Australian permanent residents or citizens travel internationally and return as permanent residents. For PR holders, unrestricted travel in and out of Australia is limited to 5 years from the date their visa is granted. An RRV is necessary once this travel facility expires.
Is a Resident Return visa right for you?
You should apply for an RRV If you have spent 2 of the last 5 years living in Australia and a current or former Australian permanent resident or a former Australian citizen who has lost or resigned your citizenship and wish to continue to travel internationally and return to Australia as a permanent resident.
You will then be allowed to travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want until the travel validity expires.
Types of Resident Return visas
Subclass 155 Resident Return Visa
The travel facility provided by the subclass 155 visa is valid for up to 5 years from date the visa was granted depending on eligibility.
Subclass 157 Resident Return Visa
The travel facility provided by the subclass 157 visa is a short-term visa that is valid for only up to 3 months. It is usually granted to those who have not met the criterion of the subclass 155 RRV
Key Eligibility Criteria
You are eligible to apply for an RRV if you:
- Have not had your last permanent residency visa cancelled
- Have resided in Australia as a permanent resident OR
- And have spent the past 2 out of 5 years living in Australia (for subclass 155) OR
- Hold substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties to Australia
- Were previously an Australian permanent resident but no longer live in Australia OR
- You were previously an Australian permanent resident in the last 10 years AND
- You have not been absent from Australia for a total period of 5 years or more since your last departure from Australia as a permanent resident
- Have resigned or lost your Australian citizenship in certain circumstances
- AND you have not been absent from Australia for a total period of 5 years or more since your last departure from Australia as an Australian citizen
- Meet character requirements
How can Smart Choice Education & Migration help you?
The length and type of your RVV can depend on whether you have met resident requirements. Our registered migration agents can help you successfully apply for an RRV by
- Assessing your eligibility for an RRV
- Advising you on options should you not be eligible for the full 5-year length of the subclass 155 RRV and
- Assisting you with compiling supporting documentation if you apply for an RRV based on either compelling and compassionate circumstances or strong business, cultural, employment and personal ties to Australia.
- Helping you lodge your application timely and accurately