What is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme?
The regional sponsored migration scheme visa (subclass 187) allows skilled workers who are nominated by an employer in regional Australia to live and work in Australia permanently.
Is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme right for you?
You may be suitable for a subclass 187 visa if you wish to live, work and study in regional Australia indefinitely and have the skills to work in an occupation on the RSMS list. This visa would allow you to enrol in Medicare, sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence and apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible).
The RSMS visa (subclass 187) share some similarities to the ENS visa (186) but have more straightforward requirements and a larger range of occupations. The skills threshold for the RSMS visa is also lower compared to an ENS visa. Contact us to discuss which visa pathway is more suitable for you.
Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Stream
This stream allows applicants who hold a subclass 457, a subclass 482 or a related bridging visa A, B or C to apply for a subclass 187 visa and live in Australia permanently. Applicants must have worked for their nominating employer full-time for at least 3 years to be eligible.
Direct Entry Stream
Applicants who don’t qualify for the TRT stream must apply via the direct entry stream, which requires employers to obtain a Regional Certifying Bodies (RCP) approval for the applicant’s sponsored position. A formal skills assessment may be required for certain positions.
Key Eligibility Criteria
In addition to meeting health and character requirements, you must also:
- Be nominated by am Australian employer
- Work for your nominating employer in regional Australia (regional areas are specified by postcode by the Australian Department of Immigration)
- Work in and have the qualifications for a position on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations
- Meet English language requirements (IELTS 6 or equivalent)
- Be under 45 years of age
How can Smart Choice Education & Migration help you?
We will provide tailored advice for all the steps involved in a RSMS visa application including:
- Assessing your eligibility for a RSMS visa
- Matching you to the most suitable entry stream based on your current visa status and skills
- Helping you obtain a skills and English language assessment
- Advising on how to obtain documentary evidence for your application and reviewing them to ensure they are complete
- Advising you on other visa options or help document exceptional circumstances if you do not meet the age, English language or skill requirements
- Lodging your application timely and accurately