+613 9005 1992 / 0402 667 815


Mon - Fri 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Partner Visa Australia

Partner Visa Australia

What are partner visas?

Partner visa Australia allows the de-facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia, either temporarily or permanently depending on the visa subclass. Partner visa applications are open to both same-sex and heterosexual couples.

Is a partner visa right for you?

If you wish to join your de-facto partner or spouse in Australia permanently, you can apply for a partner visa if your relationship is either:

  • A marriage
  • A de-facto relationship
  • A registered relationship under Australian or Territory law; or
  • A prospective marriage

Types of partner visas:


  • Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820)

The 820 visa allows applicants to stay in Australia temporarily while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed, or until the application is withdrawn. It is a direct pathway to the permanent Partner visa.

  • Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801)

The permanent Partner visa allows applicants to stay in Australia permanently. Applications for the temporary and permanent Partner visas are combined.


  • Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

Commonly known as the fiancée visa, the subclass 300 visa is a temporary visa that allows you to travel to Australia to marry your partner within the 9-month visa period. You must then lodge an onshore partner visa application (subclass 820).

  • Temporary Partner Visa (309)/Permanent Partner Visa (100)

If you are located offshore and are married to, or in a de-facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you can lodge a combined application for a temporary visa (subclass 309) and a permanent visa (subclass 100).

Key Eligibility Criteria

In addition to general criteria (e.g., health, character and debts to the Commonwealth), applicants and their partners must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Length

De-facto couples must prove that a de-facto relationship has existed for a minimum of 12 months. There is no minimum length for a married couple or registered couple.

  • Genuine and Continuing

The applicant and partner must provide evidence of the ongoing and genuine nature of their relations. A case officer will assess the financial, social and emotional commitment of the relationship.

  • Living Arrangements

All partner visas (except for the prospective marriage visa) requires the couple to be living together. Couples may live apart for extended periods of time, provided this is not a permanent arrangement.

How can Smart Choice Education & Migration help you?

Smart Choice Education and Migration Agent Melbourne will provide tailored advice for all the steps involved in Partner Visa Australia applications including:

    • Guiding you through the registration of de-facto relationships (for de-facto applicants)
    • Advising on how to obtain documentary evidence for your application
    • Reviewing documents to ensure you meet required standards
    • Lodging your application timely and accurately

Partner Visa Australia – Case Studies

Related Services

Speak To An Agent

Contact Us Today For Free Online Assessment


Fill out the form below and we will contact you soon.

+613 9005 1992 Contact Us Today For Free Online Assessment

Contact Us