+613 9005 1992 / 0402 667 815


Mon - Fri 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Child Visa Migration Australia

What is a Child Visa?

Children born outside Australia to parents who were not Australian citizens at the time are not eligible for citizenship by descent. If they wish to migrate to Australia to live, work and study indefinitely they must apply for a child visa to join and remain with their parents. A child visa is also a pathway to Australian citizenship.

Is this visa right for your child?

You should consider a child visa for your child if they are not the holder of a permanent visa and are intending to travel to, enter, or remain in Australia indefinitely

You should consider this visa if the child has an eligible sponsor (see criteria below). Otherwise, they can be included as an additional applicant if other family members are also intending to apply for a permanent visa.

Types of Visas

  • Subclass 101 (Offshore) Child Visa (Permanent)

The subclass 101 visa is a permanent visa that allows children of an eligible sponsor to travel and stay in Australia indefinitely. Applicants must be outside Australia at time of application.

  • Subclass 802 (Onshore) Child Visa (Permanent)

This visa is a permanent visa that allows children of an eligible sponsor to travel and stay in Australia indefinitely. Applicants must be within Australia at time of application and outcome.

Key Eligibility Criteria

  • Be sponsored by an eligible parent (a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen)
    • Eligible parents include step-parents or adoptive parents who have legal responsibilities to care for the child
  • Be younger than 18 years of age OR
  • Be a full-time student between the ages of 18 and 25 OR
  • Be 18 years of age or older with a disability that requires dependency on sponsoring parent
  • Be single (not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship)
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Have obtained consent from all parents or legal guardians to migrate to Australia

How can Smart Choice Education and Migration help you?

We understand how important it is to lodge a successful application for a Child visa. Delays can occur if an application is incorrectly filled, or supporting documents are missing. Smart Choice Education & Migration’s registered migration agents can help you achieve a successful outcome by:

  • Accessing you/your child’s eligibility
  • If ineligible, advise you of other pathways to Australian permanent residence and citizenship
  • Communicating with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on your behalf
  • Assisting you with all your supporting documentation (such as financial, character, circumstance and travel documents).
  • Lodging your application timely and accurately

Related Articles – Child Visa Australia

Related Services

Speak To An Agent

Contact Us Today For Free Online Assessment


Fill out the form below and we will contact you soon.

+613 9005 1992 Contact Us Today For Free Online Assessment

Contact Us

WeChat 微信