What is the Employer Nomination Visa?
Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) ENS
The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) a that allows skilled workers who are nominated by their employer live and work in Australia permanently. It allows Australian employers to nominate highly skilled overseas workers to fill positions that cannot be filled from within the Australian labour market.
Is the Employer nomination visa right for you?
The subclass 186 visa ENS is available both to applicants who are already living and working in Australia as temporary residents and to those living outside Australia. This visa may be suitable for you if would like to live in Australia permanently or considering Australian citizenship down the track and have the skills to fulfil an occupation on the skilled occupation list.
If you are already in Australia and hold a subclass 482 visa, a subclass 457, or a related bridging visa you may want to consider applying for the Employer nomination visa via the temporary residence transition or labour agreement stream.
Types of Employer nomination visas (subclass 186)
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
The temporary residence transition stream allows you to apply for permanent residence after working for your employer in Australia for at least 3 years while holding a subclass 457 or subclass 482 visa.
Direct Entry Stream
The direct entry stream requires a formal skills assessment in your occupation and at least 3 years of work experience in this occupation. You must have an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
Labour Agreement Stream
The labour agreement stream allows those who currently work, or will work, for a nominating employer who is party to a labour agreement to live and work in Australia permanently.
Key Eligibility Criteria
In addition to fulfilling general requirements (e.g., be of good health and character), you must:
- Be nominated by an Australian employer for an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations*
- Have the necessary skills for the nominated occupation
- Fulfil English language requirements (IELTS 6 or equivalent)
- Be under 45 years at time of application (although some exemptions may apply)
*An employer nomination must be lodged on your behalf before you can start your Employer nomination visa application
Specific requirements vary for each entry stream and skills and age exemptions may apply for some occupations. Register for a session with one of our professional migration agents to understand the full eligibility criteria for each entry stream.
How can Smart Choice Education & Migration help you?
We will provide tailored advice for all the steps involved in an Employer nomination visa application including:
- Assessing your eligibility for an ENS 186 visa
- Matching you to the most suitable entry stream based on your current visa status and skills
- Helping you obtain a skills and English language assessment
- Advising on how to obtain documentary evidence for your application and reviewing them to ensure they are complete
- Lodging your application timely and accurately