You can become an Australian citizen through conferral or descent. Australian citizens pledge their loyalty to Australia and its people and are entitled to its protection and to exercise their rights and responsibilities as citizens.
Becoming an Australian Citizen by Conferral
If you are an Australian permanent resident and have satisfied the general residency requirement in addition to other eligibility requirements, you may be eligible for an Australian citizenship by conferral.
General Residency Requirements
- You have lawfully lived in Australia on a valid Australia visa/s for 4 years immediately before applying
- You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 12 months total during these immediate 4 years
- You must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application
- You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 90 days in total during these immediate 12 months
Key Eligibility Criteria
- You must be 18 years of age at time of application for citizenship
- You must satisfy character requirements
- You must pass the Australian Citizenship test
- You have a basic understanding of English, knowledge of Australia and the responsibilities or privileges that an Australian citizenship will grant you
- You intend to reside in Australia or maintain a close and continuing relationship with Australia
Australian Citizenship Test
Each eligible adult applicant must sit the Australian citizenship test. You will be invited to sit the test once the Department of Immigration & Citizenship has processed your application and ensured that you meet all other requirements. The test contains questions regarding the rights and duties of being an Australian citizen, as well as questions relating to life in Australia. It also gauges your English language ability. The test consists of 20 questions drawn randomly from a pool of questions. To pass the test you need to answer 15 out of 20 questions correctly.
Australian Citizenship Ceremony
Once you have passed the citizenship test and met all other requirements, you will be required to attend a citizenship ceremony. At the ceremony you must take the Australian Citizenship Pledge and be granted your Australian citizenship. Attendance is a requirement and will take place within 3 months of your application approval.
Becoming an Australian Citizen by Descent
You could be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent if you were born outside Australia and at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth.
Key Eligibility Criteria
You must satisfy the following to qualify for Australian citizenship by descent:
- You were born outside Australia
- At least one (or both) of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth, and have spent at least two years in Australia during their life
- You are of good character if you are 18 years old or over at time of application
- You can provide evidence of your Australian parent’s citizenship status at the time of your birth
Australian Citizenship Test and Ceremony
Unlike applicants for citizenship by conferral, applicants for Australian citizenship by descent are not required to sit a citizenship test or attend a citizenship ceremony.
How can Smart Choice Education & Migration help you?
Becoming an Australian citizen is the final step in your migration story. Our registered migration agents can help you complete your journey by:
- Advising on the best pathway to becoming an Australian citizen
- Ensuring you have fulfilled the relevant requirements for your citizenship pathway
- Advising you on further steps needed to become an Australian citizen, where requirements have not been met
- Helping you prepare and pass the Australian Citizenship test, if required
- Ensuring that all relevant documents are accurate
- Helping you understand your rights and responsibilities as an Australian citizen